This page will be regularly updated with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) information from the federal government, including relevant executive branch agencies and Congress.
- For the latest information about unemployment benefits, cash payments and assistance for small businesses, please visit my main COVID-19 page.
- Assistance for Renters and Homeowners: The CARES Act provides assistance to certain renters and homeowners with mortgages. For renters living in dwellings backed by federal housing programs, the bill provides a temporary moratorium on evictions as well as late fees for nonpayment of rent or other charges for a period of 120 days starting on March 27, 2020. Similarly, homeowners with federally-back mortgages were provided a foreclosure moratorium of at least 60 days starting on March 18, 2020, and they have the right to request and receive forbearance on their mortgage payments for up to 6 months, with the option to extend for an additional 6 months (total max of 1 year). More information is available here: https://financialservices.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=406472
- Assistance for Student Loan Holder: Federal student loan borrowers are automatically being placed in an administrative forbearance, which allows you to temporarily stop making your monthly loan payment. This suspension of payments will last until September 30, 2020, but you can still make payments if you choose. Interest is being temporarily set at 0% on federal student loans. More information is available here: https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/coronavirus.
- Assistance for Medium-Sized Businesses: The Main Street New Loan Facility is intended to facilitate lending to medium-sized businesses. Eligible borrowers include businesses with up to 10,000 employees or up to $2.5 billion in 2019 annual revenues. More information is available here: https://case.house.gov/UploadedFiles/20200409_MSLF_Fact_Sheet.pdf. For information about assistance for small businesses, please visit my main COVID-19 page.
- Financial, Benefits & Claims Relief for Veterans: Latest information from the Department of Veterans Affairs on the suspension of collection action, special claim deadline extensions and Board of Veterans’ Appeals Advance on Docket appeals for COVID-19 patients at available at: https://case.house.gov/UploadedFiles/VA_Extends_Fin_Benefits_and_Claims.pdf.
- Tax Relief: The Internal Revenue Service website has latest information on filing your taxes during the COVID-19 crisis and guidance on implementing the tax provisions from the emergency stimulus measures.
Other Federal Actions
General Federal Information and Resources
- Federal Government’s Response: Information and links about the whole-of-government response to the COVID-19 pandemic, including advisories and guidance from dozens of federal agencies.
- White House Coronavirus Task Force: Information and resources from the White House’s interagency task force in charge of coordinating a national response to the COVID-19 pandemic.