I am a member of the exclusive U.S. House Appropriations Committee, which is directly responsible for $1.4 trillion of annual federal discretionary spending throughout our country. The Committee’s responsibilities cover all federal efforts, including agriculture, defense, veterans, science, energy, environment, justice, homeland security, labor, health and human services, education, transportation and housing programs.
Members of the House have the opportunity to submit requests to the Committee for inclusion in the annual appropriations bills. I am proud to submit requests that support Hawai‘i in all of these areas.
Fiscal Year 2024 (October 1, 2022-Septembr 30, 2023) appropriations requests to my office are due early 2023.
How to Submit a Request
To submit an appropriations request, please complete my online submission form. Individuals may include more than one request by submitting the form multiple times. Please be sure to rank each request when prompted if submitting multiple requests.
To properly evaluate a request, the House Appropriations Committee requires certain information. Although my staff can help you through this process and explain what information is needed, to the greatest extent possible please try to collect the following information that is required by the House Appropriations Committee:
1. Point of contact info (name, organization, email, phone number and address)
2. Applicable Appropriations Subcommittee (if known)
3. Relevant federal department
4. Relevant federal agency
5. Relevant federal program and current funding (if known)
6. President’s budget request (if known)
7. Funding level requested (if applicable)
8. Bill or report language (if applicable)
9. Explanation/justification of request, including how the request impacts Hawai‘i (300 word maximum)
10. Location in Hawai‘i that would benefit from these funds (if applicable)
11. For military-related requests, the Account (procurement, RDT&E, etc.), Line Item (if applicable) and Program Element (if applicable)
If you need assistance preparing an appropriations request or have any questions about the process, please contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 225-2726.