Skip to Content
Wildfire Resources

Constituent Services

Wildfire Resources

My office and I are focused on assisting all of our families and communities affected by the wildfires. I continue to work with my Hawai‘i congressional delegation colleagues and officials at every level but especially our federal government to support emergency response and rebuilding efforts for the people of Maui and Hawai‘i Island and for their ‘ohana across Hawai‘i. Below are some information and resources; please contact me with any questions or needs. 

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Assistance

The President has approved a major disaster declaration for the State of Hawai‘i in response to wildfires. The declaration provides a number of programs to assist individuals, households and businesses, along with assistance for public agencies and selected non-profits that have participated in response efforts. The deadline for applying for FEMA assistance has passed. If denied assistance, applicants can appeal FEMA's determination within 60 days. The appeal letter should include any additional information or special circumstances related to the situation.

COFA Wildfire Assistance from FEMA

Citizens of the Freely Associated States, also known as COFA citizens, may now apply for FEMA disaster assistance for losses caused by the Aug. 8 wildfires and high winds on Maui. The 60-day application period began April 1, 2024 and ends May 31, 2024. To apply, FAS citizens may call 808-784-1952 or visit the Lahaina Disaster Recovery Center in the Civic Center Gymnasium at 1840 Honoapi‘ilani Highway. Phone lines and recovery center hours are 8 am to 4 pm HST Monday to Friday; 8 am to 2 pm HST Saturday; closed Sundays. At the Lahaina Disaster Recovery Center, interpreters are available to help applicants in their preferred languages, including Marshallese, Chuukese, Kosraean, Palauan, Carolinian, Chamorro and American Sign Language.

How You Can Help

The County of Maui has created a website ( detailing how individuals can provide support to those affected by the wildfires. The webpage explains how to donate funds, support donation centers, provide services and volunteer.

Resource Hubs

The Kākoʻo Maui Resource Hub: This resource hub will provide a collaborative and cultural approach to help those impacted by the wildfires access direct aid and services such as family services, community lending, legal aid and health services. Visit the hub’s website to see more about their location and hours. 

FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers: This resource hub connects FEMA specialists to survivors, who can receive assistance in registering for disaster assistance, get in touch with voluntary organizations and gain access to other federal and state resources. For locations and hours, please visit FEMA’s website here.

Food Assistance

Locations for Food and Other Supplies

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
Apply for Benefits: If you suffered loss of income, you may be eligible for SNAP benefits. For more information, please visit or call 855-643-1643.

Unemployment Assistance

People who are out of work due to the fires may be eligible for unemployment benefits. You can create an account and file for unemployment benefits online at Unemployment Insurance (
You can also contact the unemployment office via phone at their call center for all claims: (833) 901-2272 or (808) 762-5751

Small Business Assistance

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has low-interest disaster loans to homeowners and renters in declared disaster areas. These loans help cover disaster-caused damage or items to help prevent future damage. You do not need to own a business to apply for an SBA disaster loan. Loans are available to homeowners, renters and businesses who have sustained physical damage to their properties. The SBA will accept physical damage loan applications June 11, 2024. More info here:

To apply in-person, visit the SBA Business Recovery Center at the Hawai‘i Technology Development Corporation Maui Research Technology Center (Building #A, Ste. 119 (Conference Room) 590 Lipoa Parkway, Kīhei, HI 96753). The facility is open 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. on Mondays - Fridays, and 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays.

Housing Assistance

The Red Cross is working to provide temporary housing assistance in the form of hotel rooms to those displaced by the fire, regardless of citizenship. To contact the Red Cross, please call 1-800-733-2767 or visit its website here.

The Hawai‘i Fire Relief Program is connecting those in urgent need of housing due to the Maui fires, with Hawai‘i homeowners willing to assist by offering unoccupied rooms, units or houses on a temporary basis.

  • For Property Owners and Landlords: Offer your home or available housing unit using this form. An HHFDC representative will then contact you to confirm and verify your information.
  • For Displaced Residents in Need of Housing: If you have been displaced or have been left houseless as a result of the wildfires, please fill out this form. An HHFDC representative will then contact you to confirm and verify your information and try to connect you with the landlord of an available unit that meets your needs.

Housing Counseling
HUD-approved housing counseling agencies have counselors available to assist those impacted by natural disasters to determine assistance needs and available resources. To find the contact information for a housing counseling agency and receive counseling, you can go online here or call HUD directly at 800-569-4287.

For assistance in navigating your housing needs, the Kākoʻo Maui Resource Hub (Maui Mall located at 70 Ka‘ahumanu Avenue in Kahului) also provides counseling in assessing your needs and applying for housing assistance.

Accessing Non-Emergency Health Services

If you have been affected by the Maui wildfires, the Hawai‘i State Department of Health has set up a website and call center to assist you and your family with accessing non-emergency health services.

Mental Health Resources

If you or someone you know is struggling because of the disaster, you are not alone. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Disaster Distress Hotline can be reached by texting or calling 1-800-989-5990 any time of day to access crisis counseling and support.

Replacing Lost Documents

If you’ve lost important documents or identification in the fires, many can be replaced. You can learn more about how to replace these common documents by contacting the agencies directly. 

Disaster survivors need to provide proof of citizenship, proof of property ownership or rental occupancy, Social Security numbers and other personal information when registering for disaster assistance, but documentation may also be submitted after applying for assistance

Hawai’i Driver’s License:

Maui County:

Hawai‘i County:

Kaua‘i County:

City and County of Honolulu:

Green Cards:

Medicare Cards:

Military Records:


Social Security Card: 

U.S. Savings Bonds:  

U.S. Tax Returns:

Hawai‘i State Department of Health Vital Records (birth, marriage/civil union and death certificates):

  • Individuals impacted by the Maui Wildfires who need replacement vital records can request replacement document online at
  • A relative may make the order on behalf of the person needing the replacement by uploading a copy of their own government ID (if born in Hawai‘i  to establish a relationship to the impacted individual. If not born in Hawai‘i  additional documents may need to be shown to verify the relationship. Permitted relatives can include a grandparent, parent, child, sibling, aunt, uncle or cousin.
  • The fee for an affected individual’s first copy of a birth or marriage certificate will be waived with a FEMA disaster assistance ID Number and/or a Lahaina residential address.
  • For more information please call the Maui Vital Records hotline at (808) 586-4602 Monday through Friday from 7:45 AM – 4:30 PM or email at

Legal Services

As fire survivors begin the process of recovery and rebuilding, the Legal Services Corporation and their grantees are available to help. Survivors seeking legal assistance can call 888-743-5749, which will connect disaster survivors to legal assistance.

The Legal Aid Society of Hawai‘i also coordinates and collaborates on pro bono disaster recovery legal services. You can contact them at the following numbers: 

  • O‘ahu: 808-536-4302
  • Neighbor Islands: 800-499-4302