Skip to Content
Wildfire Resources


Wildfire Resources

My office and I are focused on assisting all of our families and communities affected by the wildfires. I continue to work with my Hawai‘i congressional delegation colleagues and officials at every level but especially our federal government to support emergency response and rebuilding efforts for the people of Maui and Hawai‘i Island and for their ‘ohana across Hawai‘i. Below are some information and resources; please contact me with any questions or needs. You can also download a longer guide here.

Find a Shelter

Open Shelters

The Red Cross is working with the Hawaiʻi Emergency Management Agency (HIEMA) to temporarily move displaced residents to area hotels rather than congregate shelters. This temporary solution will help residents feel more comfortable while long-term accommodation plans are developed.

To qualify for the non-congregate sheltering program, households must first register with FEMA by visiting, by calling 800-621-3362 or by visiting the Disaster Recovery Center on Maui, located at the University of Hawaiʻi Maui College, 310 W Kaahumanu Ave., Pilina Building, Kahului.

For updates on evacuations and shelters from the American Red Cross, click here, or call 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767).

Locate Loved Ones

For those trying to locate loved ones, a Family Assistance Center is open at the Hyatt Regency's Monarchy Ballroom for residents who are trying to locate family members or loved ones. Those with phone access can also call the Red Cross at 1-800-733-2767.

How You Can Help

The County of Maui has created a website ( detailing how individuals can provide support to those affected by the wildfires. The webpage explains how to donate funds, support donation centers, provide services and volunteer.

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Assistance

The President has approved a major disaster declaration for the State of Hawai‘i in response to wildfires. The declaration provides a number of programs to assist individuals, households and businesses, along with assistance for public agencies and selected non-profits that have participated in response efforts. 

Anyone impacted by the fires - families, volunteers, employers or employees facing challenges from these fires - should register with FEMA through one of the following options: 

  • Call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Disaster assistance applicants who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service, call 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 1 a.m. to 6 p.m. Hawai‘i Time seven days a week until further notice. When you call, you should have the following information available:
    • A phone number and a reliable alternate in case FEMA needs to call you back
    • Address of the damaged property;
    • Social Security number;
    • Bank account information (or direct deposit information);
    • Insurance information (if you have insurance);
    • Brief description of damages;
    • Current mailing address; and 
    • Pen and paper to write down your registration number
  • Visit FEMA online at
  • By smartphone or tablet, use

Resource Hubs

The Kākoʻo Maui Resource Hub: This resource hub will provide a collaborative and cultural approach to help those impacted by the wildfires access direct aid and services such as family services, community lending, legal aid and health services.

  • Location: Maui Mall at 70 Ka‘ahumanu Ave.
  • Hours: Every day from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers: This resource hub connects FEMA specialists to survivors, who can receive assistance in registering for disaster assistance, get in touch with voluntary organizations and gain access to other federal and state resources.  

  • University of Hawai‘i Maui College (310 W. Ka‘ahumanu Ave., Community Services Building 205) from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.
  • Lahaina Civic Center gymnasium, 1840 Honoapiʻilani Highway from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.
  • Mayor Hannibal Tavares Community Center, 91 Pukalani Street, Makawao from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.

Family Assistance Center (FAC): Families and individuals may be assisted in assessing their needs and connecting with services that are that are on site as well as other resources within the community.

  • Hyatt Regency’s Monarchy Ballroom, 200 Nohea Kai Drive, Ka‘anapali.
  • Open daily from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Food Assistance

Locations for Food and Other Supplies

  • The Maui Food Bank distributes food at various locations across the island. For the most up-to-date information, please visit Maui Food Bank’s website at
  • The Lahaina Gateway Center is a distribution site for food, water, toiletries, canned goods, diapers, baby formula, clothing and pet food from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.
  • Feed my Sheep mobile food distribution sites:
    • Kahului: 150 South Puʻunene Avenue, 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Saturday
    • Wailuku: Parking lot next to Living Way Church at the corner of Market and Mokuhau Streets in Happy Valley, 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Friday

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)     

  • Hot Food: If you have SNAP, you can buy hot, prepared food with your SNAP benefits through September 14, 2023 at authorized retailers. This applies to SNAP participants in all counties.
  • Lost Food during Power Outages: If you have SNAP and lost food due to power outages, you have until September 15th to request replacement SNAP benefits. You must live in the following zip codes to be eligible:
    • Maui County: 96753, 96761, 96768, 96788, 96790
    • Hawai‘i County: 96743, 96755
    • Applications will be available on the Hawai‘i Department of Human Services website:!/
  • Apply for Benefits: If you suffered loss of income, you may be eligible for SNAP benefits. For more information, please visit or call 855-643-1643.

Meals During School Closures
If your child’s school was affected by the fires, the student may be eligible to receive meals while the school is closed. This will be updated as more information becomes available on food pick-up.

Unemployment Assistance

People who are out of work due to the fires may be eligible for unemployment benefits. You can create an account and file for unemployment benefits online at Unemployment Insurance (
You can also contact the unemployment office via phone at their call center for all claims: 

  • (833) 901 - 2272 or (808) 762-5751
  • (833) 901 - 2275 or (808) 762-5752

Small Business Assistance

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has low-interest disaster loans to homeowners and renters in declared disaster areas. These loans help cover disaster-caused damage or items to help prevent future damage. You do not need to own a business to apply for an SBA disaster loan. Loans are available to homeowners, renters and businesses who have sustained physical damage to their properties or undergone economic injury. The deadline to apply for SBA physical damage loans is October 10, 2023 More info here:

To apply in-person, visit the SBA Business Recovery Center at the Hawai‘i Technology Development Corporation Maui Research Technology Center (Building #A, Ste. 119 (Conference Room) 590 Lipoa Parkway, Kīhei, HI 96753). The facility is open 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. on Mondays - Fridays, and 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays.

Housing Assistance

The Hawai‘i Fire Relief Program is connecting those in urgent need of housing due to the Maui fires, with Hawai‘i homeowners willing to assist by offering unoccupied rooms, units or houses on a temporary basis.

  • For Property Owners and Landlords: Offer your home or available housing unit using this form. An HHFDC representative will then contact you to confirm and verify your information.
  • For Displaced Residents in Need of Housing: If you have been displaced or have been left houseless as a result of the wildfires, please fill out this form. An HHFDC representative will then contact you to confirm and verify your information and try to connect you with the landlord of an available unit that meets your needs.

Mortgage Moratorium
The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is providing federal disaster relief including a 90-day moratorium on foreclosures of mortgages insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA). To find out if this moratorium applies to you, contact your mortgage lender.

Conventional mortgage holders may also be eligible for additional relief through their mortgage holder. Call the FHA Resource Center at 1-800-304-9320 for additional information. To learn more about disaster relief options for FHA homeowners, individual can also visit:

HUD-approved housing counseling agencies have counselors available to assist those impacted by natural disasters to determine assistance needs and available resources. To find the contact information for a housing counseling agency and receive counseling, you can go online here or call HUD directly at 800-569-4287.

For assistance in navigating your housing needs, the Kākoʻo Maui Resource Hub (Maui Mall located at 70 Ka‘ahumanu Avenue in Kahului) also provides counseling in assessing your needs and applying for housing assistance.

Accessing Non-Emergency Health Services

If you have been affected by the Maui wildfires, the Hawai‘i State Department of Health has set up a website and call center to assist you and your family with accessing non-emergency health services.

Mental Health Resources

If you or someone you know is struggling because of the disaster, you are not alone. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Disaster Distress Hotline can be reached by texting or calling 1-800-989-5990 any time of day to access crisis counseling and support.

Replacing Lost Documents

If you’ve lost important documents or identification in the fires, many can be replaced. You can learn more about how to replace these common documents by contacting the agencies directly. 

Disaster survivors need to provide proof of citizenship, proof of property ownership or rental occupancy, Social Security numbers and other personal information when registering for disaster assistance, but documentation may also be submitted after applying for assistance

Hawai’i Driver’s License:

Maui County:

Hawai‘i County:

Kaua‘i County:

City and County of Honolulu:

Green Cards:

Medicare Cards:

Military Records:


Social Security Card: 

U.S. Savings Bonds:  

U.S. Tax Returns:

Hawai‘i State Department of Health Vital Records (birth, marriage/civil union and death certificates):

  • Individuals impacted by the Maui Wildfires who need replacement vital records can request replacement document online at
  • A relative may make the order on behalf of the person needing the replacement by uploading a copy of their own government ID (if born in Hawai‘i  to establish a relationship to the impacted individual. If not born in Hawai‘i  additional documents may need to be shown to verify the relationship. Permitted relatives can include a grandparent, parent, child, sibling, aunt, uncle or cousin.
  • The fee for an affected individual’s first copy of a birth or marriage certificate will be waived with a FEMA disaster assistance ID Number and/or a Lahaina residential address.
  • For more information please call the Maui Vital Records hotline at (808) 586-4602 Monday through Friday from 7:45 AM – 4:30 PM or email at

Legal Services

As fire survivors begin the process of recovery and rebuilding, the Legal Services Corporation and their grantees are available to help. Survivors seeking legal assistance can call 888-743-5749, which will connect disaster survivors to legal assistance.

The Legal Aid Society of Hawai‘i also coordinates and collaborates on pro bono disaster recovery legal services. You can contact them at the following numbers: 

  • O‘ahu: 808-536-4302
  • Neighbor Islands: 800-499-4302